South Newton School Corporation was formed in 1966 when Brook, Goodland, and Kentland High Schools were consolidated to form South Newton Junior/Senior High School. The new South Newton High School building was dedicated in the fall of 1967. Each town retained an elementary until they were also consolidated into a new building on the same campus as the Junior/Senior High, in August of 1997. This building was dedicated in August as South Newton Elementary. Also in the fall of 1997 the Junior High adopted the middle school concept of instruction and adapted the Middle School name. Thus the two schools, South Newton Elementary and South Newton Middle/Senior High, are located in the geographic center of the three towns at the corner of Newton County Road 50 East and 1300 South.
Historical Paper on SNSC By Lori Murphy for graduate level class - History of Education